Baked Turkey Sweet Potato Samosas
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Makes: 8 servings
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
- 1 pkg (450 g) ground turkey
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp (10 mL) minced fresh ginger
- 1 large sweet potato (1 lb/454 g), peeled and diced
- 2 tsp (10 mL) ground cumin
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each ground turmeric and garam masala
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) turkey or vegetable broth
- 1 cup (250 mL) peas
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- Pinch pepper
- 8 sheets phyllo pastry
Cilantro Lime Yogurt:
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) 0% plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) grated lime rind
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) lime juice
- Pinch each salt and pepper
Cilantro Yogurt: In a bowl, whisk together yogurt, cilantro, lime rind and juice, salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Cook turkey, onion, garlic and ginger together until no longer pink. Stir in sweet potato, cumin, turmeric and garam masala to coat. Add broth and bring to a gentle simmer. Cover and cook on medium-low for 10 minutes or until sweet potato is tender. Uncover and stir in peas, salt and pepper.
Lay 1 phyllo sheet on work surface and spray lightly with cooking spray. Place 1/2 cup (125 mL) of the turkey mixture in top centre of the sheet. Fold over both sides to create long rectangle; spray lightly with cooking spray. Fold point to point to create a triangle and place seam side down on parchment paper lined baking sheet. Spray lightly with cooking spray. Repeat with remaining filling and phyllo.
Bake in 400 F (200 C) oven for about 15 minutes or until golden and crisp. Serve with Cilantro Yogurt.