California Turkey Sandwich
Makes: 4 Servings
- 1 cup (250 mL) mango peeled and chopped
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) red pepper finely chopped
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) red onion finely chopped
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) granulated sugar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) jalapeno pepper finely minced
- 2 tsp (10 mL) lime juice
- to taste salt & pepper
- 8 slices dark rye or pumpernickel bread
- 2 cups (500 mL) mesclun salad mix
- 4 slices (60 g each) Ontario turkey scallopini lightly grilled
- 8 thin slices avocado
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) alfalfa sprouts
In small saucepan, combine mango, red pepper, onion, sugar and jalapeno pepper. Bring to a boil. Boil, stirring constantly, about 4 to 5 minutes or until liquid has evaporated; remove from heat. Stir in lime juice, season with salt and pepper; refrigerate.
To prepare each sandwich, lay one slice of bread on cutting board. Top with 1/4 of the salad mix and 1/4 of the chutney. Add one slice of turkey. Top with 2 slices of avocado, 1/4 of the alfalfa sprouts and another slice of bread. Repeat for remaining sandwiches.