Crunchy Turkey & Cranberry Pie
Makes: 6 Servings.
- 1 9″ (23 cm) deep pastry pie shell
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Dijon mustard
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded Swiss Cheese
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter or margarine
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) slivered almonds
- 1 1/2 cup (375 mL) diced cooked Ontario turkey
- 1 cup (250 mL) whole cranberry sauce
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) 2% evaporated milk
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) dried sage
Pre-bake pastry shell, if desired for 5 to 7 minutes at 400ºF (200ºC). Brush mustard on inside of pie shell; mix cheeses together.
Heat butter over medium heat; sauté onion, celery and almonds for 3 to 5 minutes. Layer one half the cheese, vegetables, turkey, cranberry sauce and remaining cheese in pie shell.
Beat eggs, milk and sage together thoroughly; pour slowly over cheese.
Bake at 400ºF (200ºC) for 15 minutes, then lower to 375ºF (180ºC) and continue cooking for 25 to 30 minutes or until set. Cover edges with foil, if necessary, to prevent excessive browning during the last 10 or 15 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.