Double Turkey Sampler Platter
PLATTER: serve your favourite turkey sausage along with Buffalo Turkey Bites
- 2tbsp (25 mL) vegetable oil
- 4 tbsp (50 mL – 1/2 stick) salted butter
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) Frank’s Red Hot Sauce (or other favourite hot sauce)
- 1 lb (454 g) ground Ontario Turkey, medium grind
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) finely diced celery stalk
- 3/4 cup (375 mL) seasoned whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1 tsp (5 mL) coarse Kosher salt
Lite Blue Cheese Dipping Sauce
- 6 tbsp (75 mL) Greek yogurt
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) crumbled blue cheese
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) Kosher salt, or to taste
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) lemon zest
Buffalo Turkey Bites
Preheat the oven to 450°F. Drizzle the vegetable oil into a 9×13-inch baking dish and use your hand to evenly coat the entire surface. Set aside.
Combine the butter and hot sauce in a small saucepan, and cook over low heat, whisking until the butter is melted and fully incorporated. Remove from the heat and allow the mixture to cool for 10 minutes.
Combine the hot sauce mixture, ground turkey, egg, celery, bread crumbs, and salt in a large mixing bowl and mix by hand until thoroughly incorporated.
Roll the mixture into round, 3/4-inch balls, making sure to pack the meat firmly. Place the balls in the prepared baking dish, being careful to line them up snugly and in even rows vertically and horizontally to form a grid. The meatballs should be touching one another.
Roast for 15-20 minutes, or until the meatballs are firm and cooked through. A meat thermometer inserted into the centre of a meatball should read 165°F. Allow to cool 5 minutes in baking dish before serving.
Combine ingredients in Lite Blue Cheese Dipping Sauce and serve alongside meatballs.
Source: Ontario Turkey (makesitsuper.ca)