General Tso Turkey Thighs
Prep time: Cook time: Makes: 4-6 Servings
- 2 lbs (1 kg) Ontario turkey thighs, deboned, skinned and fat removed, cut into 3/4-inch pcs
- 1/4 cup (30 mL) cornstarch
- 1 cup (250 mL) canola oil
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) reduced sodium soy sauce
- 3 tbsp (15 mL) sesame oil, divided
- 1/4 cup (30 mL) rice vinegar
- 1 cup (250 mL) turkey stock (or other stock)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) cornstarch
- 2 tsp (10 mL) garlic, minced
- 2 tsp (10 mL) ginger, minced
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) green onion, white and green parts, cut into 1/2-inch lengths
- 1 red chile, thinly sliced (optional)
Combine turkey with cornstarch and stir until pieces are evenly coated. Heat canola oil in high-sided skillet or frying pan over medium-high heat. Add turkey and fry 3-4 minutes or until pieces are crispy and lightly browned. Remove to paper towel to drain.
In a 2 cup (500 mL) measure, whisk together soy sauce, 1 tbsp (15 mL) sesame oil, vinegar, stock, sugar and cornstarch. Set aside.
Remove remaining oil from skillet, add 2 tbsp (30 mL) sesame oil and heat over medium heat. Add garlic, ginger, green onion and red chile (if using). Cook until onions are softened, about 4 minutes. Add soy sauce mixture, making sure to scrape out any undissolved sugar from measuring cup. Cook, stirring, until sauce boils, about 1 minute. Remove from heat, and stir in turkey. Serve over rice.
Per serving (based on 6 servings, optional ingredient not included): About 810 cal, 56 g total fat, 32 g carb, 0 g fibre, 45 g protein, 185 mg chol, 896 mg sodium. %RDI: iron 11%, calcium 2%, vit A 3%, vit C 1%