Grilled Turkey Tacos
Makes: 4 Servings
- tsp (5 mL) each, ground cumin, oregano and chili powder
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) sea salt
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) olive oil
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) fresh chopped cilantro
- 1 lb (500 g) boneless, skinless Ontario turkey fillets
- 1/2 small red onion, sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 jalapenos, sliced (ribs and seeds removed)
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) cider vinegar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) sugar
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 2 cups (500 mL) shredded cabbage
- 8 6-inch (15 cm) flour tortillas
- Garnishes: sprigs of cilantro, lime wedges, avocado slices
In resealable bag, combine cumin, oregano, chili powder, salt, olive oil and cilantro, rubbing to make a paste. Add turkey fillets and shake to thoroughly coat turkey. Let sit for 30 minutes and up to one day.
In another bag, combine red onion, carrots, jalapenos, vinegar, sugar and salt. Let sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes and up to one day, tossing occasionally.
Grill turkey over medium high heat until browned and cooked through, about 5 minutes per side. Transfer to cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
Toss carrot mixture with cabbage. Divide turkey and cabbage mixture over warm grilled tortillas. Garnish with cilantro and avocado and serve with lime wedges and coarse salt.
Per serving: About 460 cal, 35 g pro, 16 g total fat (3 g sat fat), 42 g carb, 5 g fibre, 45 mg chol,
790 mg sodium. %RDI: iron 25%, calcium 10%, vit A 150%, vit C 30%