Hawaiian Turkey Slow Cooker Stew
Prep time: Cook time: Makes: 4 Servings
- 1 boneless skinless Ontario turkey breast, about 1 1/4 lb/625 g
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) sodium reduced soy sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) rice vinegar
- 2 tsp (10 mL) grated fresh ginger
- Pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsp (10 mL) canola oil
- 1 red onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup (250 mL) turkey or vegetable broth
- 2 cups (500 mL) chopped fresh pineapple
- 1 cup (250 mL) pitted Medjool dates, chopped
- 2 tsp (10 mL) hot pepper sauce
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cups (750 mL) cooked brown rice
Cut turkey breast into bite size pieces; set aside.
In shallow dish combine soy sauce, vinegar, ginger and pepper. Add turkey and turn to coat evenly. Let stand for 15 minutes.
In large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium high heat and brown turkey pieces in batches and place in slow cooker.
Add red onion to skillet and sauté for 3 minutes or until browned. Add broth and bring to boil. Scrape onion mixture into slow cooker. Stir in pineapple, dates and hot pepper sauce. Cover and cook on Low for 6 hours or on High for 3 hours. Remove lid and stir in green pepper; cover and cook for 30 minutes or until tender crisp.
Serve stew over rice.
Per serving : About 541 cal, 39 g pro, 7 g total fat (2 g sat fat), 82 g carb, 8 g fibre, 77 mg chol, 419 mg sodium. %RDI: iron 22%, calcium 15%, vit A 6%, vit C 106%