Orange Poppy Seed Turkey Salad
Makes: 4 servings
- 5 tbsp(75 mL) frozen orange juice undiluted and thawed
- 2 tbsp(25 mL) water
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) vegetable oil divided
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) lemon juice
- 2 tsp (10 mL) Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) pepper
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1 lb (500 g) Ontario turkey for stir fry
- 8 cups (2 L) mesclun salad mix
- 3 large oranges peeled and sectioned
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) red onion thinly sliced
- 1 tsp (4 mL) poppy seeds
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) fresh basil thinly shredded
- 4 tsp (20 mL) orange rind grated
In small bowl, whisk together orange juice, water, 1 tbsp (15mL) of the oil, lemon juice, mustard, garlic, pepper and salt. Place turkey in large resealable plastic bag with half of orange juice mixture; marinate for about 20 minutes. Set aside remaining orange juice mixture.
Arrange lettuce, orange sections (grate rind before peeling) and onions on 4 individual salad plates.
In large skillet, over medium-high heat, heat remaining oil. Add turkey to skillet and cook, stirring, for 3 to 4 minutes or until lightly browned and no longer pink inside. Stir in remaining orange juice mixture; bring to a boil. Stir in poppy seeds; immediately remove from heat. Place 1/4 of turkey mixture on top of each salad. Sprinkle with fresh basil and orange rind.