Penne Mini Meatball Bake
- 12 oz (375 g) ground Ontario turkey
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) freshly ground Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper
- 2 tsp (10 mL) canola oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 2 tsp (10 mL) Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) hot pepper flakes
- 1 jar (700 mL) tomato basil tomato or pasta sauce
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) water
- 1 pkg (454 g) penne pasta
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) butter
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) all purpose flour
- 2 cups (500 mL) milk
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and freshly ground
- black pepper
In a bowl, combine turkey, Parmesan, salt and pepper. Roll into mini meatballs; set aside.
In a large shallow saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Cook onion, garlic, pepper, zucchini, Italian seasoning and hot pepper flakes for 8 minutes or until softened and starting to turn golden. Stir in pasta sauce and water; bring to a gently boil. Stir in mini meatballs and simmer for about 8 minutes or until meatballs are no longer pink inside.
Meanwhile, in a pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta for about 8 minutes or until tender but firm. Drain well and stir into meatball sauce to coat. Spoon into a 13 x 9 inch (3 L) casserole dish.
In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat and stir in flour. Cook, stirring for 2 minutes. Whisk in milk and cook, stirring for about 8 minutes or until starting to bubble and thicken. Stir in nutmeg, salt and pepper. Pour evenly over pasta and bake in 375 F (190 C) oven for about 20 minutes or until bubbly.
Per serving (1/10th the recipe): About 371 cal, 21 g pro, 10 g total fat (4 g sat fat), 48 g carb, 4 g fibre, 59 mg chol, 474 mg sodium. %RDI: iron 19%, calcium 15%, vit A 12%, vit C 55%