Quick Turkey Biriyani
Prep time: Cook time: Makes: 6 servings
- 1 boneless skinless Ontario turkey breast (about 1 1/4 lb/600 g)
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) plain Balkan style yogurt
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) curry powder or paste
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) minced fresh ginger
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
- 3 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 cup (250 mL) basmati rice
- 4 green cardamom pods
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 3 1/2 cups (875 mL) turkey or vegetable broth
- 1 tub (5 oz/142 g) baby spinach, rinsed and roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) currants
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) toasted slivered almonds
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
Cut turkey breast into 1 inch (5 cm) chunks.
Whisk together yogurt, curry, ginger, garlic and cinnamon; add turkey and stir to coat well. Set aside for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat oil over medium heat in large deep nonstick skillet. Cook shallots, stirring often, for about 7 minutes or until golden brown. Add rice, cardamom and cinnamon stick; cook, stirring for 1 minute. Add turkey chunks with yogurt mixture into the pan. Stir in broth and bring to a simmer. Cover and reduce heat to medium low and cook for about 20 minutes or until turkey is no longer pink inside and rice is tender.
Uncover and stir in spinach and currants. Cover and cook for 2 minutes or until spinach is wilted.
Sprinkle with almonds and cilantro, if desired before serving.
Per serving: About 276 cal, 6 g total fat, 27 g carb, 3 g fibre, 28 g protein, 58 mg chol, 129 mg sodium. %RDI: iron: 12%, calcium 7%, vit A 1%, vit C 7%