Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Makes: 6 servings
- 2 tsp (10 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 lbs (750 g) ground Ontario turkey
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) chili sauce (such as Heinz)
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Worcestershire sauce
- Pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 3 whole grain hamburger buns
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat and cook onion, pepper and garlic for about 5 minutes or until softened. Add turkey and cook, breaking up with wooden spoon for about 5 minutes or until no longer pink.
Add chili sauce, Worcestershire sauce and pepper, if using. Cover and cook over low heat for 10 minutes.
Open hamburger buns and place one half on each plate and spoon turkey mixture over top to serve.
Per serving: About cal 425, pro 30 g, total fat 15 g (sat fat 4 g), carb 38 g, fibre 2 g, chol 96 mg, sodium 1035 mg. % RDI: calcium 6%, iron 21%, vit A 8%, vit C 55%.