Three Cheese & Turkey Pasta Bake
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) dried Italian seasoning
- 1 lb (455 g) ground Ontario turkey
- 1 cup (250 mL) chicken stock
- 2 cups (500 mL) diced tomatoes, with liquid
- 1 cup(250 mL) fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup (250 mL) zucchini, chopped
- 1 cup (250 mL) low fat Ricotta cheese
- 1 cup (250 mL) Fontina cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 cup (250 mL) Mozzarella cheese, diced
- 1 lb (455 g) ziti, dried
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) panko Japanese bread crumbs
Pre-heat oven to 425ºF (220ºC). Lightly oil a 13″ X 9″ baking dish.
In a large skillet, on medium, heat oil. Add onions and sauté until soft. Add garlic and seasoning and sauté a few minutes more. Add ground turkey. Sauté until meat is cooked and starts to brown. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add stock, tomatoes, mushrooms and zucchini. Bring mixture to a boil and cook covered for 5 minutes.
In a bowl, blend Ricotta cheese, ½ cup Fontina cheese, and Mozzarella cheese. Set aside.
Cook ziti in salted boiled water until al dente*. Drain pasta but do not rinse. Toss warm pasta with cheese mixture. Add turkey mixture and toss again. Pour pasta into baking dish and sprinkle with remaining ½ cup fontina cheese and bread crumbs.
Bake for 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and golden.
* Al dente means “to the tooth” or slightly undercooked/slightly firm to the bite.