Tomato with Spicy Turkey Salad
Makes: 4 Servings
- 1 cup (250 mL ) cooked Ontario turkey fillets, diced
- 1/4 stalk (50 mL) celery, diced
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) red onion, finely diced
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) grape halves
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup (120 mL) slivered almonds, toasted, divided
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) low-fat yogurt
- 1 tsp (5 mL) curry powder
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) lemon juice
- 1 pinch each salt and pepper
- 4 medium, vine tomatoes
In a medium bowl combine the diced turkey, celery, onions, grapes, cilantro, and half the almonds. In a separate bowl stir together the yogurt, curry powder and lemon juice. Add the yogurt mixture to the turkey and gently fold together. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
To prepare tomatoes, slice off the top approximately 1/4″ down. Run a small paring knife around the pulp leaving the outside of the tomato intact. Using a spoon, gently remove the seeds and discard to form a “tomato bowl”.
Divide the filling between the four tomatoes. Top with the remaining toasted almonds and a sprig of cilantro each. Serve with a mixed green salad and a simple vinaigrette.