Turkey Adobo with Potatoes and Peppers
PREP TIME: COOK TIME: MAKES: 6
- 1 boneless skinless Ontario turkey breast (about 1 1/4 lb/600 g)
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) hot pepper flakes
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) sodium reduced tamari
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) no salt added vegetable or turkey broth
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) white vinegar
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) lime juice
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) liquid honey
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 lb (454 g) red mini potatoes, halved
- 1 large red or orange bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh parsley or cilantro
Cut turkey breast into 1 1/2 inch (7 cm) chunks.
Heat oil in large deep saucepan over medium high heat and brown turkey chunks on both sides. Remove to a plate.
Reduce heat to medium; cook onion, garlic and hot pepper flakes, stirring for about 8 minutes or until softened and starting to become golden. Add tamari, broth, vinegar, lime juice, honey and bay leaves; bring to a boil.
Return browned turkey, potatoes and pepper to sauce. Reduce heat to simmer; cover and cook for about 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender and turkey is no longer pink inside. Remove bay leaves.
Sprinkle with parsley before serving.
Per serving: About 213 cal, 3 g total fat, 19 g carb, 2 g fibre, 25 g protein, 52 mg chol, 683 mg sodium. %RDI: iron: 9%, calcium 3%, vit A 8%, vit C 89%