Turkey, Asparagus and Shiitake Sauté
Makes: 4 servings
- 1 lb boneless, skinless Ontario turkey breast, cut into strips
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking soda
- 1 tsp (5 mL) cornstarch
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) soy sauce
- 2 tsp (10 mL) vegetable oil
- 2 tsp (10 mL) garlic chili sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) grated fresh peeled gingerroot
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 cups (500 mL) sliced shiitake mushroom caps (stems removed)
- 1 cup (250 mL) turkey or chicken broth
- 2 cups (500 mL) chopped asparagus or trimmed snap peas
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) hoisin sauce
In bowl, combine turkey with baking soda, cornstarch and soy sauce. Stir to ensure all the turkey is coated. Let sit for 10 minutes while preparing other ingredients.
In large non-stick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat and brown turkey pieces. Transfer to plate. Stir garlic chili sauce into the same skillet until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in ginger for 30 seconds. Add onions and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Add mushrooms, stirring often, until golden and slightly softened, about 2 minutes. Pour in broth, scraping any brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Add asparagus, turkey with any accumulated juices and hoisin and stir to combine. Cover, reduce heat to simmer and cook for 3 minutes, or until turkey is cooked through, asparagus is tender crisp and the sauce has slightly thickened.
Serve over steamed Jasmine rice or noodles.
Per serving: About 240 cal, 32 g pro, 3 g total fat (1 g sat fat), 22 g carb, 4 g fibre, 45 mg chol, 820 mg sodium. %RDI: iron 20%, calcium 4%, vit A 10%, vit C 15%