Turkey au Vin
Makes: 6 Servings
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) oil
- 1 1/2 lbs. (750 g) boneless turkey breast, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 medium onions, each cut into 6 wedges
- 4 large carrots, thickly sliced
- 1 stalk celery, thickly sliced
- 1/2 lb (250 g) mushrooms, halved
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) merlot wine
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) turkey or chicken stock
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) dried thyme leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and pepper, to taste
- parsley, chopped for garnish
In Dutch oven, over medium high heat, heat 1 tbsp (15mL) of the oil. Add turkey and cook until no longer pink inside, stirring frequently, until lightly browned; remove to plate.
Add remaining oil into pot, add onions, carrots, and celery. Cook stirring frequently for about 5 minutes. Stir in mushrooms and garlic, cook 3 minutes longer. Stir in flour; cook 1 minute. Stir in turkey, wine, turkey stock, thyme, and bay leaves. Season with salt and pepper.
Bring to boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove bay leaves. Serve with boiled potatoes, sprinkle with parsley.