Turkey Burger Mac ‘n Cheese
Makes: 8 servings
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 lb (500 g) lean ground Ontario turkey
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 small onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) all purpose flour
- 4 cups (1 L) hot milk
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp (2 mL) each, salt and fresh cracked pepper
- 2 cups (500 mL) lightly packed, shredded old cheddar
- l lb (500 g) cooked elbow noodles
- 1 28oz (796 g) can diced seasoned tomatoes
- 1 cup (250 mL) fresh bread crumbs
In large, non-stick skillet, heat oil over medium high heat. Brown turkey, breaking into small pieces with a wooden spoon. Transfer to plate.
In large saucepan, melt butter over medium high heat. Stir in onion and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook just until fragrant, but not browned, about one minute. Whisk in flour, and cook until it combines with the flour in a thick paste, about one minute. Continue whisking and slowly pour in milk. Bring to boil and reduce heat to maintain a simmer, whisking often, until sauce is thick, about 10 minutes. Whisk in Dijon, salt and fresh cracked pepper. Whisk in cheddar until smooth. Stir in noodles, reserved turkey with any accumulated juices and diced tomatoes. Pour into a greased 13 x 9 inch (32.5 x 23 cm) baking dish. Sprinkle with crumbs and bake in 350°F (180°C) oven until the sauce is bubbling and top is golden, about 30 minutes.
Let sit for 10 minutes before serving.
Per serving: About 500 cal, 37 g pro, 11 g total fat (6 g sat fat), 63 g carb, 4 g fibre, 50 mg chol,
520 mg sodium. %RDI: iron 20%, calcium 30%, vit A 20%, vit C 25%