Turkey Fettuccine Primavera
Prep time: Cook time:
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb (454 g) boneless skinless Ontario turkey breast, cut into thin strips
- 1 pkg (8 oz/227 g) sliced mushrooms
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) diced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) dry white wine
- 1 cup (250 mL) 10% half and half cream
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) sodium reduced turkey or vegetable broth
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 pkg (454 g) whole wheat fettuccine pasta
- 2 cups (500 mL) small broccoli florets
- 1 cup (250 mL) thinly sliced carrots
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) chopped fresh parsley
In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium high heat and brown turkey on both sides and remove to plate. Return skillet to medium high heat and cook mushrooms, onion and garlic for about 5 minutes or until liquid evaporates and mushrooms are golden. Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute.
Add wine and bring to boil, scraping up brown bits from pan. Add cream and broth and return to the boil. Stir in turkey, pepper and cheese, reduce heat and simmer for about 5 minutes or until turkey is no longer pink inside and sauce thickens slightly.
Meanwhile, in large pot of boiling water cook fettuccine for 8 minutes. Add broccoli and carrots and cook for about 2 minutes or until pasta is tender but firm. Drain well and add to sauce and toss well to coat evenly. Sprinkle with parsley to serve.
Tip: Always reserve some of the pasta cooking water to moisten the pasta if necessary.
Per serving: About cal 486, pro 35 g, total fat 10 g (sat fat 4 g), carb 59 g, fibre 10 g, chol 63 mg, sodium 184 mg. % RDI: calcium 16%, iron 39%, vit A 21%, vit C 92%, folate 37%.