Turkey Osso Buco
Makes: 6 Servings
- 2 tsp (10 mL) vegetable oil
- 3 lbs (1.5 kg) Ontario turkey pieces, bone-in, skin on (thighs, drums)
- 2 oz (60 g) pancetta (Italian cured bacon), thinly sliced
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 celery stalks, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) white wine
- 1 28 oz (796 mL) can diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp (5 mL) lemon peel, grated
- 2 tsp (10 mL) dried thyme leaves
- salt and pepper
Heat oil in a large skillet. Add turkey pieces; brown 2-3 minutes per side. Remove from pan; let cool slightly. Lift turkey skin; stuff pancetta slices under skin. Set aside.
Add onions, carrots, and celery to skillet; cook 2 minutes or until slightly softened; add garlic; cook 1 minute.
Place vegetables in bottom of slow cooker. Place turkey on top of vegetables. Pour wine and tomatoes over turkey and vegetables. Sprinkle with lemon peel and dried thyme.
Cook on Low 8-10 hours or until turkey starts to fall off the bone. Remove turkey bones and skin; season with salt and pepper.
Serve with mashed potatoes, rice or noodles.