Turkey & Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
Makes: 4 servings
- 1 cup (250 mL) turkey or chicken broth
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) quinoa
- 2 tsp (10 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 lb (454 g) lean ground Ontario turkey
- 1 onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt and red chili flakes
- 2 cups (500 mL) chopped Cremini mushrooms
- 4 cups (1 L) chopped spinach
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) crumbled goat cheese
- 4 large red bell peppers, tops cut off and ribs removed
In saucepan, bring stock to boil over medium-high heat. Stir in quinoa and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and leave covered for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, in large non-stick skillet heat oil over medium-high heat, brown turkey, breaking into small pieces with the back of a spoon. Transfer to plate. Cook onion until tender and golden, about 7 minutes. Stir in garlic, salt and chili flakes and cook 1 minute. Stir in mushrooms and cook until golden and no liquid remains. Remove from heat and stir in spinach, quinoa, and reserved turkey. Sprinkle with goat cheese. This mixture can be made up to 2 days in advance.
Spoon mixture into hollowed peppers and bake in a 375°F (190°C) until peppers are tender crisp and filling is hot, about 20 minutes.
Per serving: About 330 cal, 37 g pro, 7 g total fat (2 g sat fat), 32 g carb, 7 g fibre, 50 mg chol, 460 mg sodium. %RDI: iron 25%, calcium 10%, vit A 160%, vit C 370%