Turkey Spring Carbonara
Makes: 4 Servings
- 2 tsp (10 mL) canola oil
- 2 leeks, white and light green part only, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 oz (227 g) extra lean ground Ontario turkey
- 2 tsp (10 mL) chopped fresh thyme leaves
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) hot pepper flakes
- 2 cups (500 mL) chopped fresh asparagus
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) turkey or vegetable broth
- 8 oz (227 g) tagliatelle pasta
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Pinch each freshly ground black pepper and salt
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
In large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat and cook leeks and garlic for 4 minutes or until softened. Add turkey, thyme and hot pepper flakes; cook for about 5 minutes or until no longer pink inside.
Add asparagus and broth; cover and cook for about 5 minutes or until asparagus is tender crisp.
Meanwhile in large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta for about 8 minutes or until tender but firm. Drain well and return to pot over low heat.
In small bowl, whisk together eggs, cheese and pepper. Pour into pasta and stir to coat well. Add turkey mixture and stir to combine. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, if desired.
Per serving: About 436 cal, 27 g pro, 14 g total fat (4 g sat fat), 51 g carb, 5 g fibre, 189 mg chol, 314 mg sodium. %RDI: iron 42%, calcium 13%, vit A 15%, vit C 19%