Turkey Vegetable Soup
Makes: 6 Servings
- 1 tbsp(15 mL) oil
- 1 cooking onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 cups (500 mL) cooked Ontario turkey, cut into strips
- 4 cups (1 L) turkey or chicken stock
- 1/2 cup (total 3 cups (750 mL) 125 mL) each, fresh or frozen green beans, carrots, broccoli, lima beans, corn, zucchini
- 3 tomatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) pearl barley
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each, thyme and oregano
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) fresh parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
In a large soup pot, heat oil and add onions and celery. Cook until onion is soft. Add turkey strips and sauté until no longer pink. Stir in turkey stock, all vegetables, barley, thyme and oregano. Simmer 10-12 minutes until vegetables are tender crisp. Stir in parsley and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Tip: instead of barley, add 1 cup (250mL) of cooked rice or pasta.