Vegetable Turkey Curry
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) oil
- 1 cup (250 mL) onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) hot curry powder
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) turmeric
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) chili powder
- 2 tsp (10 mL) paprika
- 2 tsp (10 mL) garam masala
- 2 cups (500 mL) cauliflower cut into florets
- 2 cups (500 mL) carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 cups (500 mL) potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 cups (500 mL) water or chicken stock
- 1 cup (250 mL) fresh or frozen peas
- 2 cups (500 mL) tomato, skinned and chopped
- 6 cups (1500 mL) cold cooked Ontario turkey, cut into chunks**
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) cashews, roasted and salted
In large heavy pot, heat oil over medium. Sauté onion and garlic until onions are transparent. Add spices, cauliflower, carrots and potatoes, and mix well. Heat for 2 to 3 minutes and then add stock. Simmer the mixture on medium low heat until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
Add peas, tomatoes, turkey and cashews. Cook ten minutes more or until turkey is heated through.
Serve on a bed of jasmine rice.
*For a mild curry use regular or mild curry powder.
**Keep turkey cold until you are ready to add it to the curry. Make sure to use good chunk of turkey as shredded turkey will break down in the curry.