Zesty BBQ Turkey Mini Pizzas
Makes: 4 servings
with Maple Leaf
- 2 Ontario turkey breast tenders (about 12oz/375g)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) barbecue sauce, divided
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) pizza or pasta sauce
- 4 Greek-style flatbreads or pitas
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) thinly sliced red pepper
- 2 cups (500 mL) shredded Italian blend or cheddar cheese
- 2 green onions, sliced
Preheat the grill to medium-high and grease the grate. Brush the turkey tenders with 1/4 cup (50mL) of the sauce. Grill the turkey, covered and turning once, for 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium; cook, turning as needed for 7 to 9 minutes or until cooked through. Let rest for 5 minutes. Slice thinly.
Stir the remaining barbecue sauce with the pizza sauce. Spread mixture evenly over one side of each pita. Divide the grilled turkey, red pepper, cheese and green onions evenly between the prepared pitas.
Set the pizzas on the grill. Cover and cook for about 6 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the pitas are toasted.
Tip: If using an indoor grill, cover using a disposable foil pan.