20 Minute Turkey and Bean Chili Salad
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Makes: 6 servings
- 1 tsp (5 mL) canola oil
- 1 lb (500 g) lean ground Ontario turkey
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt, pepper and garlic powder
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) chili powder
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 can diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 cups assorted beans (black, kidney and romanos), drained and rinsed
- 4 cups (1 L) shredded lettuce
- 1 cup (250 mL) crushed flavoured tortilla chips
- sour cream, salsa, shredded cheddar cheese, sliced red onion and sliced green onion.
Heat canola oil in large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat. Stir in turkey, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Cook for around 10 minutes breaking into small chunks with back of spoon, until meat is browned and completely cooked. Stir in chili powder, onions, green pepper, tomatoes and beans. Cook for another 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, prep fresh lettuce, crushed tortilla chips, tomatoes, sour cream, salsa and over classic taco fixings to make an easy and fast taco salad.
Tip: To make walking tacos, purchase mini bags (28 g) of flavoured tortilla chips. Crush the chips in the bag and add 1 cup shredded lettuce, 1/2 cup 20-minute chili and your choice of toppings including sour cream and salsa, shredded cheddar cheese, red onion and sliced green onion.