Honey Garlic Turkey Casserole
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 4 hours and 10 minutes on High
Makes: 6 servings (6 cups/ 1.5 L rice)
- 6 turkey thighs or drumsticks (about 4 lb/ 2 kg)
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) fresh ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) long grain rice
- 1 1/4 cups (300 mL) turkey or vegetable broth
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 cup (250 mL) frozen peas
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) liquid honey
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) each ketchup and sodium reduced soy sauce
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
Sprinkle turkey thighs with thyme, salt and pepper. In a large nonstick skillet, over medium high heat, brown thighs well on both sides; set aside.
Stir together rice, broth, red pepper and peas in slow cooker.
Whisk together honey, ketchup, soy sauce and garlic. Toss sauce with turkey thighs and place on top of rice mixture. Drizzle any remaining sauce over top.
Cover and cook on Low for 8 hours or on High for 4 hours. Serve with rice.
Tips: Spray inside of slow cooker with cooking spray before adding ingredients for casserole.
If turkey thighs and drumsticks are not available you can substitute 2 smaller turkey breasts (about 1 1/2 lb/750 g each).
Per serving including optional ingredients: About 494 cal, 0.1 g total fat, 73 g carb, 2.3 g fibre, 43 g protein, 175 mg chol, 888 mg sodium. %RDI: iron 9%, calcium 3%, vit A 38%, vit C 61%
Source: Ontario Turkey (makesitsuper.ca)