Mediterranean Grilled Turkey Muffuletta
Prep time: Cook time: Makes: 6 servings
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) each, olive oil and lemon juice
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried rosemary, crumbled
- 3/4 lb (375 g) Ontario turkey scaloppini
- 8 slices eggplant (1 cm thick)
- 1 round sourdough bread (675 g)
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) prepared pesto, divided
- 2 plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch watercress, trimmed, divided
- 1 each, sweet red and yellow peppers, roasted, peeled, seeded and sliced
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
In small bowl, whisk together oil, lemon juice and rosemary; divide in half. In shallow baking dish combine half of marinade and scaloppini; let stand 15 minutes. Place remaining marinade in another shallow dish with eggplant slices, turn to coat both sides; set aside.
Grill or barbecue turkey slices and eggplant for 2 to 3 minutes per side. Slice top third off bread. Tear out bread from top and bottom sections, leaving a 1/2 inch (1 cm) rim, to create hollow bowl. Spread inside of bread bowl with half of pesto. Layer with eggplant slices, tomato, half of watercress and turkey. Add roasted peppers, remaining watercress and onion. Spread remaining pesto on inside of bread top; place over bread bowl, pressing down firmly.
Wrap well with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
Per serving: About 555 cal, 18 g total fat, 67 g carb, 6 g fibre, 22 g protein, 25 mg chol, 803 mg sodium. %RDI: iron 9%, calcium 6%, vit A 33%, vit C 157%