Turkey Layered Salad
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Makes: 8 servings
- 4 cups (1 L) iceberg lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
- 2 cups (500 mL) small broccoli florets
- 2 cups (500 mL) English cucumbers, unpeeled, cut into ½ inch (1.5 cm) cubes
- ½ lb (225 g) cooked Ontario turkey breast, cut into ¾ inch (2 cm) cubes
- ¾ lb (375 g) cherry tomatoes, halved
- ¾ cup (175 mL) no cholesterol, reduced calorie mayonnaise
- ¾ cup (175 mL) reduced fat sour cream
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) skim milk
- ¼ cup (50 mL) green onions, thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) dill pickle relish, drained
- ¾ tsp (4 mL) dill weed
- ½ tsp (2 mL) dry mustard
- ½ lb (250 g) cooked turkey bacon, crumbled
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) hemp hearts (optional)
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) roasted pumpkin seeds (optional)
Spring Pea Guacamole:
- 2 cups (500 mL) fresh or frozen and thawed sweet green peas
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) lemon juice
- ½ tsp (2 mL) salt
- ½ tsp (2 mL) ground black pepper
Combine peas, lemon juice, salt and pepper in food processor and puree until smooth. Reserve in a small bowl and refrigerate.
In a 3-quart (3L) salad bowl layer lettuce, broccoli, cucumber, turkey breast and tomatoes.
To make dressing, in a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, sour cream, milk, onions, relish, dill and mustard. Spread dressing completely over top of salad to edges of salad bowl. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
To serve, top with pea puree and crumbled turkey bacon.
Sprinkle hemp hearts and roasted pumpkin seeds over top.
Do not toss salad mixture together, simply spoon salad onto serving plates.
Tip: Substitute shredded leftover turkey meat from a whole roasted bird. Leftover stuffing can be spread over a parchment paper lined baking sheet and baked at 375F (190C) for 5-10 minutes to make croutons for an added festive topping!